Thursday, September 9, 2010

Questions

There seems to be this unwritten rule in Christianity that to ask questions of God is to lack faith. I don't think that's true.

A college professor of mine said that once when he was thinking of a lot of questions for God, someone asked him how his faith was. He replied, "I've never had more questions about God than I do right now." The person got really serious, put his hand on his shoulder, and said he'd pray for him.

"No, no," my professor replied, "my faith has never been stronger."

If we don't have questions, we probably aren't thinking very deeply about something. That's why when you apply for a job, you're supposed to have some questions ready to ask them. If you don't ask them questions, it looks bad on you. Like you don't wonder or think about things. Why, then, are we not supposed to ask questions about God?

This all came to mind as another country song rolled through my head: Clay Walker's "Just A Few Questions." In it, he asks a whole lot of questions about the injustice in the world, about his life, all sorts of things. And he says, "I don't mean to second-guess you or criticize what I don't understand...these are just a few questions I have."

Asking questions doesn't mean second-guessing God. It doesn't mean you don't trust him. It means you wonder about him. Jesus said to have faith like a child - and who asks more questions than a little kid discovering the world around him? As we discover God more, we ought to be filled with wonder, and full of questions.

0 comments: