Friday, September 3, 2010

Roses

I feel like I've been the Energizer Bunny the past couple of weeks. Going and going and going. Not stopping to just enjoy what I'm doing.

But today, after some long days this week, I left work early. And I was walking to my car, I took a deep breath. Now, we breathe all the time. We can't really help it. But I paid attention to this deep breath. I enjoyed it. I let it relax me. And it felt good to enjoy a deep breath.

And that's when I noticed that the weather today is the most perfect weather you could imagine. The temperature is that perfect balance between too hot and too cold. The sun is shining brightly. The sky is that shade of blue that is so rich and beautiful. The smell of summer still lingers in the September air. How many days like this have I missed because I'm not paying attention?

And then I partook in a triple chocolate cookie. You probably know I eat those fairly often. At least once a week. But I'm so often eating it while I'm busy doing other things that I don't savor it. But today I took a bite and let it sit in my mouth. Let the flavor rush to my tastebuds. What a delectable cookie. What a waste to eat such a wonderful thing and not really pay attention to the sheer enjoyment.

In the midst of being the Energizer Bunny, I found a time to stop and smell the roses. And I'm determined to do this more often. To slow down, stop, and enjoy the beauty of a gorgeous day, a deep breath, and a delicious cookie.

So now I'm headed to the kitchen to eat a delicious sandwich and then sit in the backyard with a good book and the warm sunshine.

0 comments: