Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Treasures

As I watched the coverage of the Reservoir Road fire west of Loveland, I saw this story about a dog who had been left behind when his owners evacuated. Having seen them packing up some things, he'd jumped in their mobile home expecting a trip. And they left without him. But later, the humane society rescued him and reunited him with his owners. It was supposed to be this touching story. A dog reunited with his family. But all I could think was: "They left without their dog!??!?!?!" I mean, it's one thing if you're not at home and can't get back. But they were right there, packing up their valuables, and they left him behind?!?!

If I had to evacuate my house due to impending wildfire, and I had 2 minutes to pack, I would grab my insurance papers, my laptop, my flash drive with all of our digital pictures on it, my phone and purse, maybe some journals, and a few changes of clothes.

But the two things I would most definitely never forget would be Peanut and Buttercup. Forget the insurance papers, forget the clothes...my dogs would be the essentials. (Dan, I'm assuming, is perfectly capable of getting himself in the car.)

What would you take with you if you had 2 minutes to pack up and evacuate your home? The rule is you can make 2 trips out to your car to carry everything. So if you take something big, that may limit your total quantity.

0 comments: