Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Rain

Rain is often used as a metaphor for hard times. "When it rains, it pours."

But the wildfires have gotten me thinking about rain. It's desparately needed. Without it, the grass became dry, causing someone's fire to spread to over 700 acres. And without it, firefighters have had to work much harder to put out the fire than they would have had to with rain. One thing we could really use right now as we continue to contain this fire (now at 65%) is rain to obliterate the remaining 35%.

And maybe that's true of hard times, too. Maybe sometimes the metaphorical rain comes to strengthen us and prevent a metaphorical wildfire from breaking out. To teach us a lesson and bring life to withered grass and plants. To ultimately help stamp out something dangerous that was spreading in our lives...even if we didn't know it.

Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

0 comments: