Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Big Church, Little Church

When I was in college, I checked out the big church right off campus...and hated it. And then and there I decided I was more of a small to mid-sized church kind of girl. But then I graduated and worked at Elmbrook, and was immersed in big church for several years. And now I can see the pros and cons of each...so I thought I'd list them.

Big Church Pros:
- Lots of opportunities for small groups/service opportunities that are the perfect fit for you.
- Worship. I don't mean the quality of the worship leaders (though there often is a better pool of talent and better equipment)...I mean the idea of joining with hundreds or even thousands of voices in singing praise to God. There's something very heavenly about that...I miss it a lot.

Small Church Pros:
- It's easy to fit in right away (or to tell if it's a clique-y church that you'll never fit into)
- There's a greater sense of community (I think)
- There's usually less of a sense of "grandeur" and "production" and more a focus on faith growth

Big Church Cons:
- Easy to get lost in the crowd if you're not proactive about finding your place.
- Especially if there are satellite locations, it can feel very segregated.
- Traffic and parking!

Small Church Cons:
- If there is only one service, it's hard to serve!
- It's easier for the pastor to notice if you fall asleep during the sermon.
- You'll be overwhelmed with poachers eager to sign you on when you visit once.

What would you add to my lists?

0 comments: