Saturday, January 14, 2012

Seek God and Live Righteously

Recently I read a verse I was very familiar with, in a version in which I don't recall reading it. It's Matthew 6:33, in the NLT, and it says, "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

I'm more used to it in the KJV, because of the song "Seek Ye First." But reading this version struck me in a whole new way. Maybe it's because I'm such a to-do list type of person. The way this is phrased breaks it down into two simple steps.

1) Seek the Kingdom of God above all else
2) Live righteously

It is incredibly easy for me to get distracted by the things of this world. The things I want, the things I think I need. But I don't need to worry about any of that. I just need to seek God and live righteously. And the result? Everything I need. It doesn't say God will give me everything I want. It says he'll give me the things I need. Which are usually better than the things I thought I needed anyway.

So I hung this verse over my computer and am constantly reminding myself when I get distracted by the things of this world:
Seek God
Live righteously

Simple, eh?

0 comments: