Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Christlike

Lately I've been thinking about personality versus character. When I was driving to a bar on a Friday night for a friend's birthday party at 8:00, I had a prematurely old moment when I thought to myself, "I can't believe I'm leaving my house after 8 pm."

But I don't think it's so much that I'm prematurely old as it is that I'm just not a go-out kind of person. I'm much more content to curl up with a book or a good TV show than I am to hang out with a bunch of people. I mean, I like to hang out with people one-on-one sometimes. But on a typical night you'll find me at home on the couch, and that's just where I want to be.

There is nothing better or worse about being an introvert vs. an extrovert. I think with both, you need balance. (Introverts need to be with people sometimes, even if it drains them, because community is important. Extroverts may be drained by being alone, but it's important for reflection and prayer.)

And there are a million other examples of personality traits that are totally separate from character virtues. What your hobbies are, what you're passionate about, what you're good at.

Which got me thinking about what it really means to be Christlike. Because I think sometimes it is hard to separate Jesus' character from his personality. He was a public figure. He was often with crowds. This didn't seem to overwhelm him, even if it sometimes was a sacrifice when what he really wanted was a little alone time. I would venture to say Jesus was an extrovert. Does that mean I need to get up on a mountain and preach? No. Does it mean I need to be compassionate? Yes. Does my compassion have to be amidst a large crowd? No.

What do you think? What are some lines you'd draw between Jesus' character and his personality?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think of a big one as being acceptance. acceptance for others beliefs, religions, choices, lifestyles etc. I think of this one as i feel there are many christians and christian organizations who seem to either overlook this one or feel it only applies to people like them.