Sunday, January 29, 2012

Covenant

This morning I reflected on this verse from Psalm 103, finishing the thought about who God's everlasting love is with: "with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey all his precepts."

The word covenant got the bulk of my attention. Because precepts, laws, commandments...these are all rule-based words. But covenant is so much more. Covenant is the reason we obey those precepts and laws and commandments.

God's covenant with the Israelites was simple: They will be my people, and I will be their God.

And yet they broke the covenant time and time again, turning to other gods and not acknowledging that they were his people and he was their God.

Today, we're under that covenant still, now sealed with the blood of Christ. And so as I reflected on this verse, I thought about what it means to be God's people and for him to be our God. And it seems that when the Israelites failed at this, it was because they'd given up faith in him and turned to other solutions. In their case, idols. But in my case, how often do I give in to my own manipulations, fears, and worries, failing to live by faith? Am I my own hindrance to keeping God's covenant?

But for all my shortcomings, I know that he is my God. And hearing this song on the way to church reminded me of that yet again.

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea
A great High Priest whose name is love
Who ever lives and pleads for me

My name is graven on his hands
My name is written on his heart
I know that while in heaven he stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart
No tongue can bid me thence depart

May I live a life worthy of the covenant graven into his hands and written on his heart.

0 comments: